The fact that we run a thriving cafe in the centre of Chester means that we can provide opportunities for you to develop a wide range of important skills. A day at the cafe will differ for everybody, but some activities might include:
- Getting the cafe ready for opening (switching on the equipment, preparing the breakfast menu, setting up our outdoor seating)
- Food preparation
- Serving customers on the till
- Preparing and serving drinks
- Clearing and cleaning tables
- Using the dishwasher
- Helping with stock checks, kitchen paperwork and food ordering
- Getting the cafe ready to close at the end of each afternoon
Our training packages are flexibly structured around your individual requirements and are not set to a specific length of time. We can offer a variety of day and times across a 7-day week. Our training includes;
- A basic cafe induction on your first day, where we discuss things like important hygiene rules, uniforms, breaks and what to do if you can’t come in.
- Key-worker mentoring, which involves regular meetings and updates with your assigned key-worker.
- An out-come based model of support, where we empower you to set and achieve clear outcomes (goals), however big or small and keep track of these as you progress.
- An in-house skill recognition system, where you gain certificates for different skills as you progress, such as drinks making, till training, food preparation etc.
- Support with finding future employment, if this is a goal.
We can also offer a variety of additional qualifications that will really set you apart from the crowd, including;
- Food Hygiene
- Health and Safety at Work
- Manual Handling
- Fire Safety
- Basic First Aid
On top of all this, we’ve partnered up with Total People to enable us to provide nationally accredited NVQs in;
- Food and Beverage Services
- Food Preparation and Cooking
- Hospitality Services
These courses all start with the same key modules relating to essential catering skills, then allow you to pick further modules that interest you. You can complete them in around 12 months, but you’ll be supported to work at the right pace for you. Your NVQ assessor will meet you in the cafe to go through the work with you, so everything can be done right here! You’ll also notice that all the things you study on your NVQ are things that you do every day in the cafe anyway, meaning that you don’t have to worry about feeling overwhelmed.